Skip to main content

| LIFESTYLE | September.

Oh dear I've been meaning to do a new blog post for so long but I just haven't really had the time to do it! Now I've just realised that my last post was 5 months ago... I feel a bit ashamed! 

Anyway, this is going to be an extremely long post all about my birthday month, and turning the big 3-0. This will be a long one, so I hope this makes up for my lack of anything recently! 

My celebrations started early at the end of August when my other half took me for afternoon tea in the Shard and also on a Jack the Ripper walking tour in London. Our tea was Mary Poppins themed- all the china had Mary Poppins illustrations on them, and our cake stand came complete with a black umbrella on top! We had a fantastic table right by the window which overlooked London Bridge station. It was fascinating being so high up and getting a real bird's eye view of the city below. We really struggled to eat all the afternoon tea as we had stupidly had a large breakfast at London Grind beforehand (which by the way does the most amazing coffee and pancakes!).






Our Jack the Ripper tour was incredibly enjoyable and super interesting. Our guide was a "Ripperologist" who had been studying Jack the Ripper for over 30 years. He really knew his stuff and his enthusiasm was infectious.  It was fantastic going to different areas of Whitechapel and the famous Petticoat Lane and hearing about the crimes committed. Sadly, a lot of the landmarks where victims were found have now been
demolished or modernised so you did have to use your imagination a fair bit.


At the beginning of September we took a much needed holiday to France with my parents. My Dad did a gruelling 8 hour drive there and back - what a hero! We stayed in Vannes, which is a Medieval city in Brittany. Our hotel was right by the water, which was amazingly relaxing. Every morning I'd stand out on the balcony and watch people sail off in fishing boats, people jogging along the promenade and see the tour boat head out for the day full of tourists up on deck. It was the ideal spot to people watch. Apart from the chugging of boat engines, all you could hear was the lapping of waves and the occasional seagull cry.



The centre of Vannes itself is absolutely beautiful with its cobbled streets lined with colourful timbered buildings. There are plenty of creperies, restaurants and coffee shops and quirky boutiques to keep you interested. We went to one creperie 2 days running because it was that good. I had a "galette" which is essentially a savoury crepe, filled with melted cheese and ham - I'm still dreaming about it 4 weeks later! There is a beautiful garden by the city wall in Vannes, which is well worth walking through if you have the time. Our favourite place to eat at was Villa Romana. It's a pizzeria overlooking the gardens, and the service and food was second to none! I would also recommend going on the miniature train around the city which was great fun and you got to see places more off the beaten track. Every year Vannes holds a jazz festival which I believe is free. Unfortunately we missed it by about a week, but I'd love to come back and experience it next time.














We did do other things apart from eat too....! We visited Carnac which is home to thousands of standing stones spanning 32 kilometers, all in perfect lines. They date back to prehistoric times, and no one knows why they are there, or what they were for. There is talk about aliens (which my other half was fascinated by!) It was definitely a sight to see, and well worth a visit. Carnac also has a stunning sandy beach. We spent a bit of time walking along the shore finding beautiful shells. I had a little paddle but the water was absolutely freezing! 





On our return home we stopped off for an hour in Honfleur which is a lovely little town with restaurants and cafes surrounding the harbour. Again, well worth a visit (especially for the ice cream!)




Finally, last weekend my friend and I had afternoon tea at the Savoy in London. Her brother had gifted her an afternoon tea for 2 and she very kindly asked if I wanted to join her. I can't begin to explain how beautiful the Savoy is inside. There was a wedding being held as we arrived (lucky people!) All the staff were lovely and very attentive. We were shown in the Thames Foyer which had an impressive glass domed ceiling, and a pianist tinkling away at a piano in the middle of the room. The waiters and waitresses constantly asked how everything was and we didn't have to reach for our teapot once as they would swoop past and re-fill your cup without you even noticing. The food was delicious but deceivingly filling! We had a lovely surprise when a waiter presented us with 2 slices of cake each with a candle on for our birthdays, and a birthday card each. It was such a nice touch and we hadn't mentioned anything prior to us going. It was a very special afternoon and I'd love to go back some time. 








After this, we had a mooch around Covent Garden and Regent Street. We popped into Petersham Nurseries in Covent Garden and swooned over the gorgeous plants. I just love how its decorated in there with the glitzy chandeliers against the lush green foliage. It was also my first time visiting Liberty. It was very exciting to see that their Christmas shop was open which of course we had to have a look around! I came away feeling quite festive which was a bit strange!





I've had the best month and experienced so much. Turning 30 has been amazing! I've still got another birthday present from my other half to look forward to next month. I'm seeing a musician called Tom Misch at the 02 Academy in Brixton. I'm super excited! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

| DIY | DIY Rustic Shelf

We've always needed more storage space in the kitchen. We have around 4 cupboards which we use for our appliances, cups/glasses/plates/bowls, tinned food and cereals, and a cupboard designated for general items we have no where to keep such as vases, tins of paint, dusters etc.  We had a largish amount of blank wall that I knew I wanted to do something with, but other things in the flat always took precedence.  Thanks to Instagram and Pinterest, I noticed that a lot of people were making shelves out of old bits of wood or scaffolding boards. Purely by chance a while ago, my other half was given 2 scaffolding boards by someone who had no use for them. Finally during some much needed annual leave, I pestered my Dad to help me with my project! I couldn't decide what brackets I wanted. I didn't want modern style brackets as that isn't really the "vibe" I go for. I was torn between antique-style cast iron brackets from Amazon , or some white distresse

| HOME | A Look Inside AmysAnnexe's Home

My friend has recently moved into her own place, so I decided to pop over and pick her brain about all things homes and interiors!  Hi, I’m Amy (amysannexe on Instagram) and I’ve lived in my home for 3 months. I’m surrounded by fields and rolling countryside which I love as it’s very relaxing…the only downside is the creepy crawlies that decide to take up residence inside! I’ve got a lovely little garden where I can grow vegetables and lots of flowers. It’s so quiet and tranquil around where I live. Describe your interior style: I would describe my interior as country style with modern touches. I like to add grey and copper accessorises with neutral-coloured furniture. My style has changed over the last few years as I used to have quite a girlie interior with pastel pinks and duck egg blue. My style has definitely matured as I’ve got older.  Where do you take your inspiration from?   A lot of it comes from Instagram and Pinterest. My favourite home

| DIY | Homemade Bedside Lights

The new room is coming together really well. Everything I had envisioned for it has turned out exactly right! One thing that I’m most happy with is our brand new shelf/bedside lighting. This was all done for well under £100. I was lucky enough to already have the wooden scaffolding board for my old kitchen shelf. My dad helped me to distress it as it was a brand new piece of wood. Click here to read about that process. In the new room, our bed is pushed up against the chimney breast which obviously juts out a bit compared to the rest of the wall on that side. When considering the space we had I realised that a bedside table either side of the bed just wouldn’t work. This then raised the question…where do we put bedside lamps? I’ve seen a few pictures floating around the internet showing large filament Edison bulbs hanging from either the ceiling or the wall either side of a bed. I loved the look as I’m a big fan of Industrial-looking interiors. This seemed like a l