Skip to main content

| HOME | Our Stylish Rented Homes (Featuring Stephanie from Matson Bailey)

Welcome to my new regular post "Our Stylish Rented Homes". In this first post, I interviewed Stephanie from Matson Bailey. Please don't forget that if you would like to be featured in a future post, upload photos of your rented home to Instagram and use the hashtag #ourstylishrentedhomes
........
Hi, I’m Stephanie (Steph) and I have lived in my rented (shared) home in Camberwell, South London for almost 5 years now. I love the area as I'm so close to the centre of London but have the advantage of being on the edge of town near to the countryside so it’s really the best of both worlds. Obviously the pit falls of living in a shared home is that a lot of things can become broken or ruined because your housemates don’t often understand the importance or sentimentality of your belongings or simply how to keep things nice. However, my room is my little sanctuary to stamp my mark onto and to keep my ridiculous amount of bits and bobs that I have collected over the years. I'm situated at back of the house where my bedroom over looks our garden (yes I am lucky enough in London to have a garden) and has wall to wall sunshine all day which I just love! I constantly toy with the idea of moving out and into a smaller place with a friend, but it is hard to find a beautiful home in London that doesn’t cost the earth, so I'm currently biding my time and collecting more junk until I can find a home that is perfect; for now my little room suits me just fine.

Describe your interior style 

I think over the last 5 years my style has changed so much. Currently I love Provence minimalist interiors with their simple white walls, dried flowers and old style furniture. Most of the items I now own are monochrome (but I would say probably the majority of my belongings are white) because each item effortlessly conforms and blends in with all the other features of my room.




Where do you take your inspiration from? 

I've taken some heavy inspiration from a lady called Jamie Beck who is an American photographer living in France who documents her life in Provence- her world is just perfect! Jamie also introduced me to a maison in Montreal with sublime and dreamy French interiors. They both live in places that I can only seem to find in my dreams (or maybe a castle in Kent!) with beautiful wooden floors, stone walls and white linen everywhere. It's just magical and that's how I try to model my room (although I have a carpet and just plastered walls but it works). I also follow several blogs (one of which sadly hasn’t posted for almost a year because the lovely lady had her second child and I don’t suppose she has an awful amount of time in her busy day) called Hickey and Dobson who create beautiful chairs and have showcased the restoration of their home in North London. It was fascinating to watch because she studied interior design and it made the whole process so much more detailed.

Tell us about an item in your home that means something to you 

I don’t think I have a favourite piece in my bedroom; I think as a collection I love the entire space. If however I was to choose, I suppose it would be my restored chest of drawers. I've wanted one for ages, so when I saw this on eBay I thought it was perfect and it holds all of the junk that can often be unsightly (all of my tools and fabric). Great buy!



What is your favourite area of your home and why? 

As I previously mentioned, living with other people means that the communal areas are often not as you would wish them to be. So I would have to choose my little bedroom with its en-suite as my favourite area.

What is your bargain find?

The best bargain I have is my french mirror on my chest of drawers ( I'm sure you're seeing a theme here!). It cost me £20 plus a small amount of petrol money to collect it (completely worth it!) It was in a terrible state because it had been sitting in someone’s garage not being used. I cleaned it up, painted it white and it looks beautiful now!


What (if any) are your future plans for your home? 

My future plans are of course to find somewhere I can expand my style and to have a little more space with a friend, and make a lovely homely place of my own. Maybe one day I might even win the lottery so I can buy a town house in South London! I'm wishing and hoping quite a lot for that to actually happen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

| DIY | DIY Rustic Shelf

We've always needed more storage space in the kitchen. We have around 4 cupboards which we use for our appliances, cups/glasses/plates/bowls, tinned food and cereals, and a cupboard designated for general items we have no where to keep such as vases, tins of paint, dusters etc.  We had a largish amount of blank wall that I knew I wanted to do something with, but other things in the flat always took precedence.  Thanks to Instagram and Pinterest, I noticed that a lot of people were making shelves out of old bits of wood or scaffolding boards. Purely by chance a while ago, my other half was given 2 scaffolding boards by someone who had no use for them. Finally during some much needed annual leave, I pestered my Dad to help me with my project! I couldn't decide what brackets I wanted. I didn't want modern style brackets as that isn't really the "vibe" I go for. I was torn between antique-style cast iron brackets from Amazon , or some white distresse

| HOME | A Look Inside AmysAnnexe's Home

My friend has recently moved into her own place, so I decided to pop over and pick her brain about all things homes and interiors!  Hi, I’m Amy (amysannexe on Instagram) and I’ve lived in my home for 3 months. I’m surrounded by fields and rolling countryside which I love as it’s very relaxing…the only downside is the creepy crawlies that decide to take up residence inside! I’ve got a lovely little garden where I can grow vegetables and lots of flowers. It’s so quiet and tranquil around where I live. Describe your interior style: I would describe my interior as country style with modern touches. I like to add grey and copper accessorises with neutral-coloured furniture. My style has changed over the last few years as I used to have quite a girlie interior with pastel pinks and duck egg blue. My style has definitely matured as I’ve got older.  Where do you take your inspiration from?   A lot of it comes from Instagram and Pinterest. My favourite home

| DIY | Homemade Bedside Lights

The new room is coming together really well. Everything I had envisioned for it has turned out exactly right! One thing that I’m most happy with is our brand new shelf/bedside lighting. This was all done for well under £100. I was lucky enough to already have the wooden scaffolding board for my old kitchen shelf. My dad helped me to distress it as it was a brand new piece of wood. Click here to read about that process. In the new room, our bed is pushed up against the chimney breast which obviously juts out a bit compared to the rest of the wall on that side. When considering the space we had I realised that a bedside table either side of the bed just wouldn’t work. This then raised the question…where do we put bedside lamps? I’ve seen a few pictures floating around the internet showing large filament Edison bulbs hanging from either the ceiling or the wall either side of a bed. I loved the look as I’m a big fan of Industrial-looking interiors. This seemed like a l