Skip to main content

| HOME | Upcycling - Why Is It So Popular?

It seems that in recent years, up-cycling has really picked up and become increasingly popular with people looking to transform their homes on a budget. 

The term "up-cycling" basically means to "do up" and recycle/re-use an item...and what a fun project it is to do too! 

So why is it so popular?

One of the main reasons I believe, is that people just love to find a bargain. Spotted a table painted in a hideous colour with a few knocks and scratches but it's only £15.00? Perfect! All you have to do is give it a good sanding down and a lick of paint and voila- it looks as good as new! 

Another reason is that you can find some rare gems that may just need a little TLC, and for that reason they are more affordable. 

 My friend who runs the company MatsonBailey has found some incredible pieces- ranging from vintage Ercol sofas, to her most recent project in the form of an antique French bed frame! 

Not too long ago, I was in a local charity shop and looking lost in a corner was this wooden fiddle back chair. £7.50 later and it was mine! I also have a desk with really unusual scalloped edging which I have never found in a "new furniture" shop.

From this...

To this!

From this...

To this!

This most recent up-cycle of the dining table turned out perfectly and I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. While I was sanding the top down I was so happy to see the wood grain underneath, and what a lovely colour wood too! Who'd have thought that under all those layers of dark varnish was this beauty. 

There is something so satisfying knowing that you are helping to recycle an unwanted piece of furniture and giving it a new lease of life, saving money and turning it into something that is completely unique to you. 

Good quality wooden furniture will obviously stand the test of time too. You may have to spend a bit of money initially "making over" the item, but it will last. I've had my fair share of MDF desks and tables (which aren't always cheaper I might add!) and in the 7 years I've lived in my flat- all had to be thrown away. 

I've already got my eye on the next up-cycle project which will be finding some new dining chairs and giving them a make over. Wish me luck! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

| HOME | The Mustard Edit

Mustard yellow is bang on trend at the moment. In most homeware stores, you are guaranteed to come across a mustard coloured item. Mustard is a pretty versatile colour. It can be used to add a pop of colour to a neutral backdrop, or even to brighten up a dark coloured sofa for example - my particular favourite is the combination of mustard and navy blue; I think the two colours compliment each other really well.  Here are 5 of my favourite mustard yellow homewares under £50.00 which are sure to cheer up your home!  Wild and Wolf 746 phone in English Mustard ( www.redcandy.co.uk ) £33.30 Mustard wool throw in English Mustard - 150cm x 183cm ( www.britishwoolblankets.com ) £49.00 Mustard and white zig zag chevron cushion ( www.zazzle.co.uk ) £25.25 Softness shaggy rug in Mustard - 60cm x 120cm ( www.therugseller.co.uk ) £34.99 Ecru frilled linen cushion cover ( www.zarahome.com ) £11.99   now on SALE at £4.99! My friend at MatsonBailey ...

| HOME | A Look Inside AmysAnnexe's Home

My friend has recently moved into her own place, so I decided to pop over and pick her brain about all things homes and interiors!  Hi, I’m Amy (amysannexe on Instagram) and I’ve lived in my home for 3 months. I’m surrounded by fields and rolling countryside which I love as it’s very relaxing…the only downside is the creepy crawlies that decide to take up residence inside! I’ve got a lovely little garden where I can grow vegetables and lots of flowers. It’s so quiet and tranquil around where I live. Describe your interior style: I would describe my interior as country style with modern touches. I like to add grey and copper accessorises with neutral-coloured furniture. My style has changed over the last few years as I used to have quite a girlie interior with pastel pinks and duck egg blue. My style has definitely matured as I’ve got older.  Where do you take your inspiration from?   A lot of it comes from Instagram and Pinterest. My f...

| LIFESTYLE | How Gardening Helped My Anxiety

We are incredibly lucky to have a large balcony for a 1 bedroom rented flat (approximately 18 foot wide and 6 foot deep). Having said that, when we first moved in 7 years ago and at 21 years old, we weren't that bothered by utilising the outdoor space that we had. Neither of us at the time were particularly into gardening. In fact, my other half didn't even have an outdoor space at his previous home. We both agreed that "at some point" we would do something with it and our attention was focused solely on making the inside of our flat look nice.  Years passed and the weeds got bigger; we bought a cheap metal table and chairs for the balcony, but that was the extent of what we did with it.  The turning point for me came when I developed extremely bad anxiety at the beginning of last year. I struggled to leave the house or even venture out very far beyond my "safe zone" which was my home town. One day my parents asked if I wanted to come with them to a...