Skip to main content

| HOME | Upcycling - Why Is It So Popular?

It seems that in recent years, up-cycling has really picked up and become increasingly popular with people looking to transform their homes on a budget. 

The term "up-cycling" basically means to "do up" and recycle/re-use an item...and what a fun project it is to do too! 

So why is it so popular?

One of the main reasons I believe, is that people just love to find a bargain. Spotted a table painted in a hideous colour with a few knocks and scratches but it's only £15.00? Perfect! All you have to do is give it a good sanding down and a lick of paint and voila- it looks as good as new! 

Another reason is that you can find some rare gems that may just need a little TLC, and for that reason they are more affordable. 

 My friend who runs the company MatsonBailey has found some incredible pieces- ranging from vintage Ercol sofas, to her most recent project in the form of an antique French bed frame! 

Not too long ago, I was in a local charity shop and looking lost in a corner was this wooden fiddle back chair. £7.50 later and it was mine! I also have a desk with really unusual scalloped edging which I have never found in a "new furniture" shop.

From this...

To this!

From this...

To this!

This most recent up-cycle of the dining table turned out perfectly and I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. While I was sanding the top down I was so happy to see the wood grain underneath, and what a lovely colour wood too! Who'd have thought that under all those layers of dark varnish was this beauty. 

There is something so satisfying knowing that you are helping to recycle an unwanted piece of furniture and giving it a new lease of life, saving money and turning it into something that is completely unique to you. 

Good quality wooden furniture will obviously stand the test of time too. You may have to spend a bit of money initially "making over" the item, but it will last. I've had my fair share of MDF desks and tables (which aren't always cheaper I might add!) and in the 7 years I've lived in my flat- all had to be thrown away. 

I've already got my eye on the next up-cycle project which will be finding some new dining chairs and giving them a make over. Wish me luck! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

| DIY | DIY Rustic Shelf

We've always needed more storage space in the kitchen. We have around 4 cupboards which we use for our appliances, cups/glasses/plates/bowls, tinned food and cereals, and a cupboard designated for general items we have no where to keep such as vases, tins of paint, dusters etc.  We had a largish amount of blank wall that I knew I wanted to do something with, but other things in the flat always took precedence.  Thanks to Instagram and Pinterest, I noticed that a lot of people were making shelves out of old bits of wood or scaffolding boards. Purely by chance a while ago, my other half was given 2 scaffolding boards by someone who had no use for them. Finally during some much needed annual leave, I pestered my Dad to help me with my project! I couldn't decide what brackets I wanted. I didn't want modern style brackets as that isn't really the "vibe" I go for. I was torn between antique-style cast iron brackets from Amazon , or some white distresse

| HOME | A Look Inside AmysAnnexe's Home

My friend has recently moved into her own place, so I decided to pop over and pick her brain about all things homes and interiors!  Hi, I’m Amy (amysannexe on Instagram) and I’ve lived in my home for 3 months. I’m surrounded by fields and rolling countryside which I love as it’s very relaxing…the only downside is the creepy crawlies that decide to take up residence inside! I’ve got a lovely little garden where I can grow vegetables and lots of flowers. It’s so quiet and tranquil around where I live. Describe your interior style: I would describe my interior as country style with modern touches. I like to add grey and copper accessorises with neutral-coloured furniture. My style has changed over the last few years as I used to have quite a girlie interior with pastel pinks and duck egg blue. My style has definitely matured as I’ve got older.  Where do you take your inspiration from?   A lot of it comes from Instagram and Pinterest. My favourite home

| DIY | Homemade Bedside Lights

The new room is coming together really well. Everything I had envisioned for it has turned out exactly right! One thing that I’m most happy with is our brand new shelf/bedside lighting. This was all done for well under £100. I was lucky enough to already have the wooden scaffolding board for my old kitchen shelf. My dad helped me to distress it as it was a brand new piece of wood. Click here to read about that process. In the new room, our bed is pushed up against the chimney breast which obviously juts out a bit compared to the rest of the wall on that side. When considering the space we had I realised that a bedside table either side of the bed just wouldn’t work. This then raised the question…where do we put bedside lamps? I’ve seen a few pictures floating around the internet showing large filament Edison bulbs hanging from either the ceiling or the wall either side of a bed. I loved the look as I’m a big fan of Industrial-looking interiors. This seemed like a l