Skip to main content

| LIFESTYLE | How Gardening Helped My Anxiety

We are incredibly lucky to have a large balcony for a 1 bedroom rented flat (approximately 18 foot wide and 6 foot deep). Having said that, when we first moved in 7 years ago and at 21 years old, we weren't that bothered by utilising the outdoor space that we had. Neither of us at the time were particularly into gardening. In fact, my other half didn't even have an outdoor space at his previous home. We both agreed that "at some point" we would do something with it and our attention was focused solely on making the inside of our flat look nice. 

Years passed and the weeds got bigger; we bought a cheap metal table and chairs for the balcony, but that was the extent of what we did with it. 

The turning point for me came when I developed extremely bad anxiety at the beginning of last year. I struggled to leave the house or even venture out very far beyond my "safe zone" which was my home town. One day my parents asked if I wanted to come with them to a National Trust property called Batemans in East Sussex. I really had to force myself to go with them which was very difficult at the time for me (travelling over an hour away was incredibly daunting). Whilst walking around I was hit by an overwhelming feeling of calm- the first time I had felt like that for months. I realised that I felt so at ease in the countryside and being surrounded by flowers and nature, and I knew that I really wanted to re-create my own "calm space" back at home. 

Overlooking the chicken coop at Batemans 

We started off with just 2 plants. One was "Silver Carpet" and the other was a bronze-coloured grass which unfortunately I can't remember the name of now. Both were crammed into the same pot and I was so excited to actually have some foliage (other than weeds) on the balcony! 

From there I acquired 2 other plants- a "Red Robin" and a "Rubella" shrub, both of which were given to me from small shoots. These absolutely thrived (and still are now!) on the balcony. Spurred on by their success, we bought more and more. 

We now have a pink "Anniversary" Rose, pink Hydrangea, "Lambs Ear", "Rubella" shrub, "Little Heath", "Ascot Rainbow", "Red Robin", a "Trachycarpus" palm, a "Pheonix Canariensis" palm, "Sundance" shrub, "Little Lottie" Lavender, French Lavender, "Royal Purple" shrub and a "Coleus" shrub...I'm sure there's others that I've missed!

We decided on a mixture of ceramic and terracotta pots. Most of the ceramic pots are the "Heritage Garden Pottery" brand which you can get information on here. I just love the different colours, shapes and sizes they sell. 

I'd love to get to the stage where the balcony is crammed full of plants. We have a lot, but there are still multiple spaces to fill. 

We decided to scrap the table and chairs as they were so rusty and a real eyesore. Instead I wanted to get a wooden bench which would withstand the weather better and in my opinion looks a bit "softer" as a material than metal. Most of the benches I had seen were either way out of my price range or were cheap but totally flimsy. 

I came across a lovely bench at a small garden centre near to where I live and it was a steal at £99.99. It is such a solid bench and another positive for me was that it hadn't been treated like most benches are, meaning that I didn't need to sand it all down before I painted it. I decided to use Cuprinol paint in the shade "Willow" available here. This is a gorgeous pale green which really compliments the greenery on the balcony. 

Recently my other half decided to dedicate an empty corner of the balcony to herbs. We had been given some rocks from my parent's garden which he used to form a kind of rockery and then he planted up some small terracotta pots and spread them amongst the rocks. I really like how it has turned out, and its so nice to be able to go out and pick my own herbs when I'm cooking! 

The final touches are some solar powered fairy lights woven around the railings. I would like to get some faux topiary balls  to hang either side of the bench and also a small solar powered water feature to tuck in between some plants. I find the sound of trickling water so relaxing. 

Here are various stages of the balcony or the "veranda" as we jokingly call it! Throughout the last few years. 








It really is nice to have my own piece of tranquil outdoor space and the best part is, if we ever move we can literally pick everything up and take it all with us! 

Generally now, if I'm feeling a bit anxious, I can sit outside surrounded by plants and I start to feel more calm. I really do believe that gardening has helped my anxiety. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

| DIY | DIY Rustic Shelf

We've always needed more storage space in the kitchen. We have around 4 cupboards which we use for our appliances, cups/glasses/plates/bowls, tinned food and cereals, and a cupboard designated for general items we have no where to keep such as vases, tins of paint, dusters etc.  We had a largish amount of blank wall that I knew I wanted to do something with, but other things in the flat always took precedence.  Thanks to Instagram and Pinterest, I noticed that a lot of people were making shelves out of old bits of wood or scaffolding boards. Purely by chance a while ago, my other half was given 2 scaffolding boards by someone who had no use for them. Finally during some much needed annual leave, I pestered my Dad to help me with my project! I couldn't decide what brackets I wanted. I didn't want modern style brackets as that isn't really the "vibe" I go for. I was torn between antique-style cast iron brackets from Amazon , or some white distresse

| HOME | A Look Inside AmysAnnexe's Home

My friend has recently moved into her own place, so I decided to pop over and pick her brain about all things homes and interiors!  Hi, I’m Amy (amysannexe on Instagram) and I’ve lived in my home for 3 months. I’m surrounded by fields and rolling countryside which I love as it’s very relaxing…the only downside is the creepy crawlies that decide to take up residence inside! I’ve got a lovely little garden where I can grow vegetables and lots of flowers. It’s so quiet and tranquil around where I live. Describe your interior style: I would describe my interior as country style with modern touches. I like to add grey and copper accessorises with neutral-coloured furniture. My style has changed over the last few years as I used to have quite a girlie interior with pastel pinks and duck egg blue. My style has definitely matured as I’ve got older.  Where do you take your inspiration from?   A lot of it comes from Instagram and Pinterest. My favourite home

| DIY | Homemade Bedside Lights

The new room is coming together really well. Everything I had envisioned for it has turned out exactly right! One thing that I’m most happy with is our brand new shelf/bedside lighting. This was all done for well under £100. I was lucky enough to already have the wooden scaffolding board for my old kitchen shelf. My dad helped me to distress it as it was a brand new piece of wood. Click here to read about that process. In the new room, our bed is pushed up against the chimney breast which obviously juts out a bit compared to the rest of the wall on that side. When considering the space we had I realised that a bedside table either side of the bed just wouldn’t work. This then raised the question…where do we put bedside lamps? I’ve seen a few pictures floating around the internet showing large filament Edison bulbs hanging from either the ceiling or the wall either side of a bed. I loved the look as I’m a big fan of Industrial-looking interiors. This seemed like a l