Skip to main content

| HOME | Brand Watch: Emma Bridgewater

A number of years ago I noticed pictures of other people’s dinnerware circulating online and in magazines, which featured white crockery with bold black lettering swirled around the outside of plates, bowls and mugs. Although a simple design, the collection really captivated me and I knew that I wanted to get my hands on some of my own.


I discovered that this was the Emma Bridgewater “Black Toast” collection- one part of many collections that she has created during her 32 years in production. Other current collections include Marmalade, Rose and Bee, Polka Dot, Wallflower, Starry Skies and Pink Hearts (to name but a few).
Each design is like a work of art; sponged or hand painted onto the pottery. You also have the option to personalise your item with a name for example, if you so wish. The pottery itself feels thick, sturdy and built to last; no wonder then that so many people have been collecting Emma Bridgewater for decades!



Personally as I said, I’m a real sucker for the Black Toast collection. Each piece has a different printed quote or phrase which draws the eye in and makes a real statement. The black and white design is simple, but it goes with everything. It also compliments other items in the range too. The black lettering I am very pleased to say, hasn’t faded at all over the years. I often bleach my black toast mug as it gets stained with tea, and it always stays as crisp and vivid as the day I bought it!

Emma Bridgewater’s factory is based in Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire. Every item in her range is made and distributed from here. The factory is open to the public; holding factory tours and experience days, which include an afternoon tea style lunch, a chance for you to decorate your own item of pottery and of course browse her range in the factory gift shop! It's fantastic to be able to see the creation process first hand from start to finish. I can’t think of many brands that allow you a chance to do that.

Emma Bridgewater also offers a “lifetime membership” for a one-off fee of just £10.00! This entitles you access to a designated “collectors club” area of their website- not accessible by members of the public, where you can buy exclusive collectors club items online, early access to sale items and more. I think this involvement with the public is brilliant. It really makes you feel a part of the “family” and the brand seem so much more than just pottery.

Emma has branched out into homeware and stationery including notebooks, cushions, reed diffusers and even hand and body wash. She has everything covered if you are looking for that perfect gift for someone. 

I can’t wait to build upon my collection and hopefully pass it on to my children one day to enjoy as much as I do. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

| DIY | DIY Rustic Shelf

We've always needed more storage space in the kitchen. We have around 4 cupboards which we use for our appliances, cups/glasses/plates/bowls, tinned food and cereals, and a cupboard designated for general items we have no where to keep such as vases, tins of paint, dusters etc.  We had a largish amount of blank wall that I knew I wanted to do something with, but other things in the flat always took precedence.  Thanks to Instagram and Pinterest, I noticed that a lot of people were making shelves out of old bits of wood or scaffolding boards. Purely by chance a while ago, my other half was given 2 scaffolding boards by someone who had no use for them. Finally during some much needed annual leave, I pestered my Dad to help me with my project! I couldn't decide what brackets I wanted. I didn't want modern style brackets as that isn't really the "vibe" I go for. I was torn between antique-style cast iron brackets from Amazon , or some white distresse

| HOME | A Look Inside AmysAnnexe's Home

My friend has recently moved into her own place, so I decided to pop over and pick her brain about all things homes and interiors!  Hi, I’m Amy (amysannexe on Instagram) and I’ve lived in my home for 3 months. I’m surrounded by fields and rolling countryside which I love as it’s very relaxing…the only downside is the creepy crawlies that decide to take up residence inside! I’ve got a lovely little garden where I can grow vegetables and lots of flowers. It’s so quiet and tranquil around where I live. Describe your interior style: I would describe my interior as country style with modern touches. I like to add grey and copper accessorises with neutral-coloured furniture. My style has changed over the last few years as I used to have quite a girlie interior with pastel pinks and duck egg blue. My style has definitely matured as I’ve got older.  Where do you take your inspiration from?   A lot of it comes from Instagram and Pinterest. My favourite home

| DIY | Homemade Bedside Lights

The new room is coming together really well. Everything I had envisioned for it has turned out exactly right! One thing that I’m most happy with is our brand new shelf/bedside lighting. This was all done for well under £100. I was lucky enough to already have the wooden scaffolding board for my old kitchen shelf. My dad helped me to distress it as it was a brand new piece of wood. Click here to read about that process. In the new room, our bed is pushed up against the chimney breast which obviously juts out a bit compared to the rest of the wall on that side. When considering the space we had I realised that a bedside table either side of the bed just wouldn’t work. This then raised the question…where do we put bedside lamps? I’ve seen a few pictures floating around the internet showing large filament Edison bulbs hanging from either the ceiling or the wall either side of a bed. I loved the look as I’m a big fan of Industrial-looking interiors. This seemed like a l